Key Duties & Responsibilities
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare & implement an environment strategy that delivers on the green agenda by providing cleaner ways of delivering services within a reduced budget envelope
- Participate in all directorate key priorities offering skills and expertise where appropriate.
- Ensure appropriate representation for the Council is in place for key Tees Valley projects such as waste management and recycling options for the future.
- Ensure that the statutory refuse service is delivered in an efficient manner and that recycling services across the Borough are both efficient and effective.
- Provide a strategic lead to transport planning and strategy ensuring the Council’s vision is delivered on a local, regional and national level.
- Provide effective management and leadership to operational frontline staff
- Develop robust budget management arrangements and implement across all areas of responsibility.
- Ensure that services are reviewed to anticipate the changing environment and are strategically led to develop innovation and high standards of performance.
- Provide effective health and safety, financial and contract management for the area of responsibility, including the maximising of opportunities to create and secure value for money and ‘social value’ solutions in a changing environment.
- Promote and develop strong partnerships with all partners and community groups to enhance the achievement of the corporate and operational objectives.
- Ensure partnership working and collaborative arrangements are utilised to the benefit of the citizens within the Borough.
- Develop and establish performance standards for the services within the management remit, ensuring such measures are measuring actual performance delivered, comparing actual performance with best practice and national standards.
- Develop a ‘one team’ approach across the area of responsibility, encouraging an account manager/customer focus approach internally and externally.
- Ensure the Council complies with statutory responsibilities under the Environment Protection Act (and related legislation) in relation to waste and street cleansing activities
- Ensure robust arrangements are in place to deliver the Community Safety agenda
- To undertake such duties as may be commensurate with the seniority of the post.
- To ensure that the Council’s corporate Health & Safety policies are followed and training is undertaken in all pertinent health and safety procedures.
- To partake in the Council’s and Directorate’s staff training and development policies as well as the Council’s system of performance appraisal.
- To treat all information gathered for the Council and Directorate, either electronically or manually, in a confidential manner.
- All employees are required to demonstrate a commitment when carrying out their duties which promotes and values diversity and the equality of opportunity in relation to employees and service users which is in line with the Council’s Equality & Diversity Policy.
- To be responsible for identifying and managing all risks associated with the job role through effective application of internal controls and risk assessments to support the achievement of Corporate and Directorate objectives.
- To ensure the highest standards of customer care are met at all times.
- To ensure the principles of Value for Money in service delivery are fundamental in all aspects of involvement with internal and external customers.
- To ensure that the highest standards of data quality are achieved and maintained for the collection, management and use of data.
- To positively promote the welfare of children, young people, and vulnerable adults and ensure that it is recognised that safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility; and to engage in appropriate training and development opportunities which enhance an individual’s knowledge and skill in responding to children, young people and vulnerable adults who may be in need of safeguarding.